Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advocating for change

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Self advocacy.

Hi all. 

I'm in the psych ward at the moment. They are discharging me today. 

However i have severe pneumonia and I'm really sick. Like really really sick. 

I've spent my admission in bed with high fevers and high resp rates. Isolating in my has been hard. But I've been too sick to care and I've been just trying to breathe or sleep so being in my room has been fine. Most of the nurses have just been ignoring me too. 

I don't know what to do. I feel too  medically unwell to go home. How do I slef advocate to be moved to a medical ward instead of going home. How do I make them listen when I just can't talk. Or lack the motivation and energy to stand up for myself. 

And tips would be great. 

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Self advocacy.

Hey @The-red-centaur ,

Im hearing you. From my experiences, the psych ward handles only MH issues. I felt they had no idea about physical ailments and vice versa.

Can you get discharged from the psych ward and if things don’t improve, then return to the hospital?

I feel like they just think my pneumonia is all in my head @tyme I've been treated pretty badly. 

And that is an option. Thanks 

Hello @The-red-centaur I'm really sorry this is happening for you and can sense your desperation regarding the context of your situation. Psychiatry has a long history of looking through a diagnostic lens and viewing everything as mental pathology.  I know you are extremely unwell. I have experienced similar gaslighting from the psychiatric system. I don't like the psychiatric hospital system at all. Ultimately I think you have to be guided by what is best for you, in the quickest most expedient sense. I realise its a harsh reality facing situations just like this alone. Youre going to have to pull something out of a hat. I don't think the psych ward is going to transfer you. @tyme made a suggestion. I know you are weak and confused and without supports. This happens a lot. 

Hey @The-red-centaur, good grief what a nightmare! It truly is disgraceful that your illness is not being treated with seriousness, and that you're being treated with such disrespect. I agree with @SmilingGecko in that the field of psychiatry, with its roots in the medical system, has the tendency to over-pathologise. It seems cruel to have your genuine health concern chalked up to some kind of manipulation or ploy.

We do have to try to find the good ones amongst the bunch at times - is there anyone there who you feel you had some rapport with who might actually believe you? And perhaps, if talking is difficult/impossible at present, you could write it down somewhere to show them? You deserve genuine care and support, not to be treated like an inconvenience. Sending some hugs, some strength, and some luck your way hun, hope you get the care you need ASAP 💜🤞

@Jynx I was discharged this morning. 

I've been struggling at home all day. I'm tempted to go to ED but I'm scared they will fob me off, like they usually do. 

As a chronic mental health patient. I feel like medical concerns are treated as either attention seeking or hyperchondria. 

@The-red-centaur yeah totally, it's awful that needing mental health care can result in us being... almost like we're branded, you know? Like "Hey I am having trouble taking full breaths, I think I have severe pneumonia" - "Oh it's just a panic attack you're fine, see ya."

Ugh. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Still, I think if you're at a point where you're worried about making it through the night, keeping the option of going to ED on the table is a good idea. I'm not sure how helpful it would be, but could you give the Nurse On Call number a buzz? Maybe tell them a bit about your symptoms and ask if they know what you could say to help you self-advocate if you do need to go in? Rocking up and saying 'hey the nurse on call said it sounds like I have (idk like, respiratory distress or something, I'm not a doctor lol), and need immediate medical attention' might have more of a sense of urgency to them as opposed to 'Hey I'm back cos I feel really unwell.' Food for thought. 

I hope you're all wrapped up in blankets and have something good to watch or do to help keep your mind busy! Been doing much colouring lately?

They already diagnosed me with the pneumonia @Jynx 

And now my tempt won't calm down with panadol. My carers are a little worried. But I have an aversion to ambos and hospital, so we are just trying to manage the symptoms at home. Now I'm home I'm scared of going back to hospital. 

Good response @Jynx, wanted to say I always love your chatty, warm-hearted replies to people. You make folks feel validated, respected and cared for which is so lacking in conventional psychiatry. Thats why peer support is so needed in moments like these. Lets hope @The-red-centaur finds their feet soon.  Sending you all my best wishes for a good nite.

Oh yowza @The-red-centaur that's so rough, fevers are never fun. Gotta have like 5 diff clothing layers to pop on (and rip off) to try to accomodate the whacky temperature changes, oof! 

I can totally understand the aversion, I hope it doesn't come to that! Fingers crossed for a swift recovery 💜🤞

Aww thanks for saying that @SmilingGecko you've made my night! I agree, nothing quite like the kind of healing and solidarity we can find in peer support. Hope your evening is what you need it to be tonight my friend 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance