Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Elin
Senior Contributor

How MAD are you? Number 2. Outcomes.

Forgive me but I am just going to rave on a bit here, read at your own risk:

I don't know whether I need to release hidden anger, be annoyed, express bewilderment, fear and or a big  X-factor i.e. something unknown.

I just had the opportunity to view the second and final part of the "How MAD are you?" on SBS tonight. If I had a hat on, I would take it off in total admiration of all those amazing 10 people who participated in that program, yes, and I would add the three professionals. I loved Mitches summing up about the labels not being who we are we are people. A label was used against me in such a derogatory put-down-way, by my spouse many times (in our early marriage) when he couldn't cope that I developed a real complex and internalized my anger toward him and the illness over it that  I have never fully recovered nor shaken free from the extreme negativity of being labelled. I hate labels. It was like a control thing as if I was a naughty little girl - "You are mental therefore your opinion doesn't count, kind of thing." It made me so angry. It was not just the diagnosis of Bipolar 1 that I was given 40 years ago that stuck in my psyche like a festering wound that never heals because the scab is continually being disturbed. But also in the sixties and seventies during my school and early adolescent years you heard of people being put in straight jackets in mental institutions and locked aware out of sight, every kind of crude, cruel and unkind jokes abounded regarding the mentally ill. Definitely not something you would admit to having. And further shame and reproach when my father refused to (own me) visit me in the psych hospital.

Strangely enough, although I have struggled with an increasing awareness of an unrealistic (psychotic) believe building up to a crescendo over 10 months and bursting its bubble in early September after 40 years of being pretty well I am totally mystified as to how my church friends just treat me as normal. If they only knew what I was thinking during my psychosis. Which could go to prove that I am my own worst ongoing critic? What do you think?

I hope the participants in "How MAD are you?" have all been given plenty of opportunities to debrief and receive ongoing counsel after that show. Such courageous young people. Thank you for helping to destigmatize mental illness.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How MAD are you? Number 2. Outcomes.

Hi @Elin - thanks so much for sharing your reaction to the show! ANd for sharing your experiences and story.

Did you get a chance to read our session with Cameron from the show?

By the way, he did say that they were very well supported by the show (and each other) with debriefs etc.

Hi s-jay, no as yet I have not viewed/read the interview with Cameron, but I hope to do so. Where do I go to find it? Very glad to hear they were all supported by the show and by each other with debriefing time; that is so vital.

Can someone point me to where I find the interview with Cameron please. I have searched around and cannot locate it. @Zoe7

@s-jay no I didn't read Camerons story in the interview but I would really, really like to do so but I cannot find where it is listed. 🙂

Hi @Elin It is located here Smiley Very Happy

Oh thanks ever so much @Zoe7.

You are welcome @Elin - hope you get something out of the discussion Smiley Happy

Yes for sure but not as much as I had hoped.

The discussion could definitely have gone on for much longer but given that there was only an hour for questions and responses it made a good start. I think most of us would have liked to continue the discussion for much longer @Elin.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance