Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Shellbee
New Contributor

BPD

Hi everyone, 

I’m new to this forum...

i really need to talk to anyone who is listening. My BPD has nearly ruined my relationship .. I only just recently found out I have it. I feel good in a way, as now I have a “name” as such for what I’m experiencing... can anyone help me with coping strategies ? 

5 REPLIES 5
nashy
Senior Contributor

Re: BPD

Hey there @Shellbee welcome and most definitely you are not alone here 🙂 Heart

Many of the members here live with BPD, and quite a few are really diligent in attending DBT therapies and other things which help their wellbeing.

Please feel free to have a look around the forums and ask any questions here for the community. I would also recommend checking out Project Air and SPECTRUM.

Did you want to share a bit about the effects on your relationship etc?

outlander
Community Guide

Hi @Shellbee and welcome.
Well done for reaching out for support.
@Sans911 @BlueBay and @Teej may be able to offer some advice in this area. I have BPD but am still new to it myself with being diagnosed late last year and like you it was good to have a name to what it was.

Do you have a psychologist or someone you can talk to in person when things are tough and to help you work through your emotions?

We have a thread here called 'Dialectable Behaviour Therapy' which is a therapy that is suited well to not only BPD but other mental health diagnoses and many members there that im sure may be able to help with that too.
I cant link as im on my phone but you can find that thread by typing ing dialectable behaviour therapy into the search bar, you can also find coping threads the same way. Weve a variety of threads here that you may be interested in joining in with like 'anyone feel like chatting' or the good morning thread which are social threada to talk about light hearted things.
BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @Shellbee welcome to the forum. 

I have BPD as well as depression anxiety and ptsd. 

I am about to start a 4 week DBT therapy (as soon as I hear from them). This will help me to learn to regulate my emotions and behaviour. 

@Zoe7 is doing DBT she may be able to explain it more to you. 

Happy to chat to you again 😊

Zoe7
Community Guide

Hi @Shellbee I don't have BPD but do do DBT - there is a thread here about DBT and some of the concepts. Basically it is a way to challenge and control our thinking - especially when we feel like our emotions are getting out of control and affecting us adversely. There are a lot of strategies we can use to help self-soothe and adjust our thinking to form positive outcomes. It does take a lot of practice to see any change within ourselves - I am currently on my second round of the modules and it took at least 2 modules (of around 9-10 weeks each) until I even contributed in the group. It is particularly aimed at people with BPD to help them control those intense emotions and clarify their thinking but is great for anyone to do - I would recommend it to anyone with depression, anxiety, or CPTSD like myself.

There are also many threads where BPD is discussed - do a forum search for BPD and you will find a lot of threads started - you might not want to read them all but it will give you an idea of what others with BPD go through.

Please feel free to tag me if you have questions - only happy to help. Smiley Very Happy

Hi @Shellbee
I have BPD, PTSD, anxiety and depression and I have been living with mental illness for a very long time.

I have had my ups and downs. I can honestly say due to my mental illness I have destroyed people and relationships along the way.

what is it exactly you are struggling with in your relationship? I have found that educating my partner as much as possible has been a massive hel\p for both of us. It is not something that has a "quick easy fix", however if you do look at DPT and reach out to support groups such as this one I know you will be able to continue in your relationship and build it back up - if that is what you are wanting to do?

Please do reach out!
It is something that can be overwhelming with at times, especially first being diagnosed and reading all the lit on it. 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance