Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Loft
New Contributor

Checking in - Assurance

Hi - I've lived in a relationship with my partner for 6 yrs but after year 3 new traits emerged. Alcohol indused verbal abuse, threatening, almost bullying. 2/3 years later he has I believe turned to alcohol daily especially with no airline travel for cabin crew. It appears he is trying to take his pain away with alcohol but will not acknowledge it what so ever. The info I have read indicates I should make change, otherwise I am fueling his behaviour. I've reached out to get some counselling firstly for myself then to possibly introduce him to the process. 3 yrs or any years feels too long to continue the fear you develop living under the roof of someone like this. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checking in - Assurance

How challenging all this sounds for you @Loft  Smiley Sad

I can hear this has been going on for quite some time yet your partner is not able to see the effects of his behaviour on you. Its great you have reached out to a counsellor and here on the forums. I hope you find it helpful. In case you haven't already heard of them, I just wanted to leave a couple of helplines here that may be helpful:

Family Drug Support Australia

1300 368 186
24 hours 7 days a week
 https://www.fds.org.au/

FDS provides non-judgmental, non-directive support and information for families and friends of drug and/or alcohol users across Australia. 

1800RESPECT
1800 737 732
Online Chat
24-hours a day
www.1800respect.org.au

National sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service. 

Thanks alot for your feedback and contact details for other resources.

I did speak with someone today at Sane whom was enlightening and helped enormously 10/10. I also tried 1800 respect but was nt as helpful. Either way you learn a little more info on how to deal with this type of situation. One big takeaway was my life is somewhat at threat living in this esculating enviroment ongoing, and that was a reality check.

@Loft  Welcome to the forums.

I have lived with alcohol in family members at home, so I know how very uncomfortable and threatening it can become.

Its really good you are getting counseling help for yourself at the moment, hopefully, your partner will in time.

Please take care of yourself. Your safety is very important.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance