Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

trying_again
Casual Contributor

Brain Going Blank?!

It’s like my mind is mostly empty until a traumatic memory appears. 

I don’t seem to have many thoughts or internal monolog unless I really force it, either. 

Does anyone else experience this? 

I’m sure I used to think about ideas and

things too…

But now it’s like I’m just on autopilot mode with no thoughts until a memory pops up. 

I find it hard to think independently too, it’s like my opinions are just other peoples that I internalise. 

I think I’ve been like this for a long time but it definitely feels worse since I was out on antipsychotics a few months ago. 

Has anyone else had this as a side affect of meds? 

I feel like my memory and overall problem solving is down the drain too.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Brain Going Blank?!

Apparently only 50-60% of people have an internal monologue

Some people think visually as one alternative

I have this too @trying_again thanks for posting your experience.

I have opposing ideas about it.

When I am experiencing actual trauma, I will stare into space, it feels like no thoughts at all are in my head. I cannot focus on things like tv or music. It is sensory overload. I feel like a zombie. I experience severe anxietys too.

In moments when I feel well, I feel like I'm in a dream state. There is not many thoughts about things in particular in my head. Except, I get very excited about doing the next thing & have 6 activities going at once. This usually leads to anxietys & overwhelmed.

I need to have awareness that focus on one thing at time. Very difficult.

I don't know that our brains are that smart anyway. Having no thoughts is maybe the way we are meant to function. If I think of a baby, the natural mind is likely not having inner dialogue, it simply is.

I am slowly learning that I already know myself & taking on other people's opinions is not relevant or productive.

It can be very difficult. Easy to get confused. I rely heavily on other people to guide me & also, there is nothing wrong with being discerning. I try to value how I feel, rather than what my brain tells me. The brain can run in circles trying to find reasons for things. 

Our feelings are complex too. A counsellor mentionedv example of feelings of anger when loved one passes away. 

Objectively, anger would be incorrect feeling. If that makes sense.

Let feelings happen, good & bad, joy & tragedy. There is not always justifiable reasons why the emotions occur, however, all feelings are valid. 

I try to be kind to myself. Not easy. Self Compassion. 

Hypothesis: maybe the thoughts disappear when they don't make sense anymore. The mind goes blank.

It doesn't feel nice. It's a sense of losing oneself. Losing identity. 

The AP definitely stopped my thinking. I think it was good thing because all my thoughts were stressful. 

I have memory problems & problem solving takes huge mental effort.

Try to rest. It's ok. The mind & body are mysterious. I want to believe they are self healing. Far more than we have the any idea of. 

I appreciate that what you are experiencing is scary & not fun. The mind will come good again. I think we get very overloaded, as you mentioned traumatic memories. These have been buried for so long. The mind & spirit needs time to heal. 

Talking to counsellor, psychologist is helpful to unload ask of the things you are going through.

Yesssss @trying_again me too…

I feel like it was from before I was on my antipsychotics, when your in full psychosis mode! It’s like you have melted the ingoing and outgoing data receptors in your brain or something?

Now I have hardly any past memories, people bring up stories about what’s happened in the past and I don’t remember these events at all or they are very fuzzy! Even people telling me where we’re going for dinner on Saturday night and I forget the location or I don’t even soak in the information in the first place. 

Now I’m on my antipsychotics I just feel dumb, like I have no intellectual thoughts or anything to share in conversations cause i don’t have the words to get involved.

Even writing this I’ve had to spell check and think carefully about what I’m writing I think I did alright with the word intellectual that’s my one big word of the week done and dusted. 

I feel like I have onset dementia I forget everything literally.

Unsure if you can relate to what I’m saying, I just read your post and thought woooh that’s so me. 

I’ve thought about downloading a brain teaser game to get my brain going but that’s as far as I went just a thought no action! 

If you find the solution to gain memory again please share with me 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance