Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

KU777
Senior Contributor

Severe Depression

Hi, I’m new to the forums!
I’ve got severe depression and it all started two and a half years ago! My life has been turned upside down by this illness. I’m wondering if anyone else has had to give up their career because their depression is so severe. Also, what do people do with their lives? I’m stuck between suffering and not being able to work.

25 REPLIES 25
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Severe Depression

Hi @KU777

A very warm welcome to Sane. Severe depression can rob us of so much...sorry to read it has turned your world up side down. Many of on here can relate to that. I had to give up studying medicine many years back because of it and was never able to take on excessive stress well. Fast forward, I have had many trials and battles because of resulting depression/anxiety due to abuse, excess stress, trauma and illnesses but I am in a much better place today. 

People all have varying degrees of mental illness and all are unique to how they handle it and what they go on to do with their lives. I do work now helping others at a community centre that I love. I couldn't be happier with that vocation now. I feel more compassion and can genuinely empathise now with others because of my suffering, of what I can battled, so good can come from it. It has made me more stronger and determined person with a greater appreciation of life, no matter how small the good in it is. I focus on it instead of what is missing. All part of the healing

Depression can temporarily hold us down for sure, but can be managed with the right professional help and positive outlook, and there is no reason why we should not go after our realistic goals or dreams when in a better place. 

When in the depths of my breakdown the focus for me was becoming stabilised first. Seeking professional care. Also part of that healing was doing activities that I could manage, at one stage that was getting up and having a shower. Then slowly started to get back into life activities within my own limitations. Keeping my mind and body as busy as I could. Talking back to the anxiety and negative self talk/doubts, and dealing with the grief of past abuse and hurts. Living in the moment without looking back. All the latter is what I worked on doing with my life to deal with my depression. 

Everyone is different - all have different strengths. Unique as we all are with different limitations - it is learning to know our own and work within them. I did have to push myself everyday to get to a better place and not give up or into my negative thoughts, fears and pain.. It was holding onto the hope of a better future and purpose. Baby steps can take us a long way. Hope to see you around the forums

Wow Thankyou so much. I feel like you have had to give up so much like I have, I was working as a senior social worker. Due to my breakdown I have experienced memory loss and can’t work any longer. This gets finalised early this year and I’m not sure what to expect. I do have professional support for this.

I can’t wait until I find my purpose to help others or find something that makes the suffering seem worth it!
Former-Member
Not applicable

Sorry to read about the memory loss @KU777 I have no memory of certain years of my childhood and some parts of my young adult life due to trauma. Everyone's story is different and that is what I did with my life and how I coped with depression that worked for me. I am glad to read that you have professional help and wishing you the best possible outcome.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @KU777

Firstly welcome to the forums. I am hoping you find people you can relate to. Everyones story is different but we do share some similarities with our symptoms. I suffer from complex PTSD, anxiety and depression. 

I have had to give up my career as a consequence of this. I hope one day I can go back to it, but at this stage I know it is not possible. I still have a long way to go before I can do this. 

For now, my days are filled with psychologist, gp and psychiatrist visits. Other than that, I try to get through the days as best as I can. Sometimes that means getting out of the house, going for a walk, but most days involves alot of self care and just surviving. I have come to realise that if I just get through a day, than that is a success. 

I hope you get the supprt you are looking for through these forums. There are alot of social threads too, which help take your mind of things. 

Nell

Wow Nell Thankyou for sharing. I’ve found my professional appointments take up less time now than they used to but it leaves a lot of free time. I really dislike being home alone so it means if I’m not careful I get drained from being out so much. I’m just trying to survive like you are too. Thankyou for your kindness 🙂
Former-Member
Not applicable

@KU777you will find lots on here who are not working becasue of their MI.

Feel free to jump into any thread you like. There is a good morning thread in the socail spaces that always seems to have people talking there and also a night thread for those who cannot sleep.

If you want to tag someone just put a @ in front of their name.

That sounds great! I’m one who can’t sleep!

I’ve just been exploring the site and just came across the article on Osher. Omg it described what I went through when I had my breakdown, then four weeks later my depression kicked in.

@KU777. Welcome to the Forum.
I suffered a workplace incident over 3 years ago & as a consequence I have Major Depression. I used to struggle with PTSD & panic attacks - but I've had successful treatment for that. However, my depression has remained.
I lost my job and currently am not working. Which is good - because I couldn't cope at the moment with work. But at the same time it's bad - because days all seem to drag together. I have little energy or motivation.
I guess what I need & maybe yourself too, is a purpose. Okay, we can't work. But is there a hobby we can do. Something enjoyable that fills our time.
Also we need to keep social as being alone too much - jot good for depression.
I hope you find the forum helpful and that you connect with new friends here.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance