Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Books: Reading for relaxation and enjoyment

Silenus.....the litany against fear was etched into my consciousness....i read it at a very bad time in my life. Wasn't EE "Doc" Smith fabulous?  No one has mentioned Robert Blish, Isaac Asimov....Foundation etc. and of course the wonderful Robert Heinlein....his books matured from writing at geeky teen boys as the genre matured into Stranger in a Strange Land.....earning him a banned book award, and a cult following. I have been collecting his works and some are so gorgeous in being very dated....he had some weird concepts and his women were ? My current favourite of his is discovering a WW2 German Fascist base on the moon!

robert silverberg wrote the beautiful Valentine books, and Patricia Kenally-Morrison the superb Kelts in Space. Yup, she was married to Jim Morrison of "The Doors" fame.

the velveteen rabbit is a beautiful tale, as is "The Little Prince" and "The Secret Garden"

books I never read are horror and thrillers, along with some too graphic detective books. I have shied away from non fiction stories of mental health issues, being afraid I might identify too closely with them.

there was a book sale as a charity event last week and came home with a half dozen books. My income prohibits me from spending money on brand new books, but I pick them up cheaply and then recycle them. It is a shame that books are so dear,I am sure it is the middlemen who swallow up the greatest percentage of an authors work.

Hi @Neb, yes I agree with you re middleman theory. I love to read, I do have a lot of books but the ones that I read that are not keepers I recycle to the library. My husband left us last year, so I have used there a fair bit so it makes sense to me to give back. I can't afford new books very often anymore either. <br>I love historical fiction. Especially medieval and Plantagenet era books. I really love British history. It's where my family history lies in York England.

Hi @grubbytoes,

I read Shantaram, too. At first I really loved it and could not put it down. Reading it made me want to travel to India. Then about half way through I began to have some serious doubts.

The author seemed like a bit of a sociopath to me. Smiley Frustrated He kept on big-noting himself throughout the text. It started to become very distracting.  I thought "If I have to read one more time about him winning a fist fight and everyone revering him for being so brave and courageous, then I will crack." 

I think the guy had some serious narcissistic traits that in the end made him extremely unlikable.

Interestingly, my friend told me that her daughter actually met the author. Apparently, he knew the owners of a restaurant that she used to eat at all the time. When she took the book in with her, the owner of the restaurant said "Would you like to meet the author?" 

So she got to meet him and she went away with the impression that not everything in the book happened as it was written. 

Hi @grubbytoes,

I read Shantaram, too. Opps, got posted twice! Sorry.

Hi @Terry,

I was in love with Luke Skywalker when I was 12! We must be around the same age. If I remember correctly, my big sister was in love with him too. She was 13 at the time.

I used to have a copy of the paperback version of "Return of the Jedhi" and I remember carrying it around school with me and gazing at the photo of Mark Hamill on the front cover. How precious! 

I was a bit of a nerd. Smiley Surprised

Oh Silenus thank you for that. Right now I heading for divorce and a major move from the NT where I have lived for 30 years back to Perth. I have depression but I am also taking my daughters, one who has major mental illness problems and autism and the other is an Aspie. So yes lots of quiet fear that I acknowledge and try to let go of. Thanks

Love reading mainly historical romance novels and getting involved with the heroines. Bimby2

I read Shanteram too  and  and all, Yes, I bought it w...

I read Shanteram too @Sahara and @grubbytoes  and all,

Yes, I bought it when it first came out and ended up giving the book away thinking.....He reads like he's very damaged..........I got hooked reading it first.....and remember about 3/4 was through the book I was going to crack he kept oj writing he was so pure and strong and tough and had good thoughts ..........

Funny what your daughter wrote but I guess......He got the book written. Yes, @Sahara extremely unlikeable bloke hey....

When I was about 30 years old I thought if I was ever to do anything with my life of anything it would be to have a libary of first edition novels. Starting with novels of Diana Wynne Jones and Anne Tyler.......I love books so much. I can't yet but on my bucket list.......

Thanks for reminding me @Neb that I got a Ruth Rendell book at an op shop last week....ooohhh I am going to read it right now.........

Just to let you know, For some reason, I met this couple  that manage and run a nice little church nearby me. She is 42 years old with.....3 childen under 7 years old....so I offered to visit her to help her out with dishwashing....and....out of the blue, we are ending up me visiting her once per week....she made me and my husband two meals in plastic cartons for the freezer. 

Those little kind things just make your day don't they?? 

I don;t attend the church or am particularly religious but It's left me with a feeling of LOVE and care. Money is difficult but you never grouch or anything or talk about it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance