Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Peonies
Senior Contributor

International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples (9th August)

Hi everyone,

This Sunday is the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples (9th of August). 

For those who may not know, there are approximately 476 million indigenous people are living across 90 different countries around the world! Wow! ❤️

Indigenous communities bring diverse cultures and ways of living in the world. However, throughout history and until now, many had to consistently advocate for their lands and human rights. 

In recognising the need to protect and raise awareness of Indigenous communities’ rights, the United Nations General Assembly decided in 1994, to make the 9th of August each year to be the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. 

Have you heard of this day before? What are some of the things we all can do to support and promote the rights of indigenous communities?

I will start first- 

I haven’t heard of this day before! For me, raising awareness is key. I will be researching or 'googling' to learn more about different indigenous communities' culture, traditions, history, and challenges. Thus, share this knowledge with my family and friends. I also find the United Nations’s website to be a great place to start 🌱 

(United Nations, 2020)  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples (9th August)

@Peonies  That’s an excellent article. 

I had no idea there are so many indigenous people in the world, but I am aware of the poverty and other disadvantages they endure, superficially anyway.

I’m drawn to their knowledge of the land, and spirituality, their simplicity and kindness.

We all need more of what they have.

Re: International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples (9th August)

@Maggie 

I didn't know there were so many different indigenous communities in the world, either!

Did you know in Vietnam, 54 different indigenous communities are living together across the whole country 🌻
Here are some of their amazing cultural celebrations and costumes! 

Mai Châu: lạc lối với những họa tiết thổ cẩm đầy sắc màu | An Vietnam

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance