Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Paulisnotmyname
Casual Contributor

Anxiety relapse and intrusive thoughts

Hi I just need to get things down. I have a history of anxiety (maybe OCD) and have been deteriorating again over the past 2 months or so, possibly triggered by some work stress. I am seeing my GP in a couple of days.

I have been in a loving relationship for 14 years and have 2 children. Things have been great in all areas of our relationship, especially over the past couple of years. Recently I have been experiencing distressing intrusive thoughts about my partner's previous intimate relationships (which I have limited knowledge of and are pretty irrelevant given the length of our relationship). Basically I am imagining fictional scenarios of my partner with other men and playing them over in my head, over and over again. It feels like torture.

Also I have become incredibly insecure about my ability to please my partner sexually, even though she is very reassuring and we have always had a wonderful, active sex life.

I am at a point where I cant eat or sleep properly and often break down in tears. It is frustrating my partner and I am terrified that she will leave me, though she reassures me that this will not happen.

Rationally, I can see that my fears are unfounded - why would she be with me this long if I was not a good partner?

I can't seem to make the thoughts go away and it is affecting things vey badly. I want to be back to my old self so desperately, but I can't see how this can happen. Maybe someone has some pearls of wisdom. We are in our mid-40s which makes this even more stupid. Thanks for reading. Peace.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Anxiety relapse and intrusive thoughts

I was going through something very similar. I was introduced to hypnotherapy with this amazing lady in Sydney who changed my life. It’s the most natural healing way to re program your thought process and I have been feeling amazing. I joined this forum because I finally found a way to feel normal again and I thought since 1 in 3 women suffer in this way need to know that it’s not a lifetime feeling. 

Hi @Paulisnotmyname

It's good that you're seeing the GP.  I can relate to the anxiety and continuous intrusive thoughts.  I've had similar stuff going on.

Dunno if it'll help, but i'll tag you on another discussion on Thought Diffusion Techniques i started practicing for unwanted repetitive thoughts.  I find them helpful.

Take care.

@PaulisnotmynameHey mate sorry to hear that you are going thru this i was diagnosed pure O OCD in my late teens early/early 20s i am now 27 it sounds very OCDish what you discribed but i am no psyc or GP lol 

You have attached meaning behide your thoughts which makes you anxious but in reality the thought means nothing there just that, thoughts. The anxiety part of the disorder is shite thats where you start to think irrationally in turn makes you more anxious i find that not reacting to my intrusive thoughts helps have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder before?  

Thanks very much @Zaphod. Blood tests reveal that I have a thyroid issue at the moment, but I have also been prescribed some SSRIs which I'll start tomorrow

I'll be keen to look into the techniques you mentioned.

And thanks for your reply - it means a lot to me.

Thanks @AnxiousMe. Yes, I have been diagnosed with GAD some time ago and been off meds for a few years. I seem to have an acute phase every 3 or 4 years which puts me back on medication and I guess that's where I am at right now.

GP says I have a slight thyroid issue, so I'll get that investigated. I am also seeing a counsellor today to talk through some of this stuff. My partner is very supportive and your message on this forum is just so reassuring - I really appreciate it.

All the best, mate.

Thanks @Fatima23. Glad that you have found a successful therapy. I will have a look at hypnotherapists. I appreciate your message. All the best.

@PaulisnotmynameYeah same with me mate my last real anxiety attack was when i first got diagnosed then the anxiety went away and so did the thoughts then like 5 months ago BANG came back but with a different theme i see ocd/anxiety as a wave you go up and you ride it then come back down.

hope your session goes well mate best thing i did was talk to someone 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance