Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

oneteaspoon
Contributor

Now my mums condition is life threatening and the hospital are still denying me visitation

So after a not so nice phone call with my mums dr this morning I found out that she is in sever heart failure. They are trying different methods to get rid of the fluid but it doesn't seem to be working, the dr told me to be ready but because they are still trying to resolve the issue she isn't classed as palliative care but if these attempts don't work life expectancy is maybe a week. 

the hospital told me to see a solicitor re gaining visitation so I have spoken to 4 different law firms and my local MP who have provided me with the Victoria Government gazette, public health and well-being act 2008, hospital visitor directions no 9 released 22nd July state that a visitor exempt when the patients medical condition is life threatening... and there are many clauses that support me providing care that the hospital can not provide.

i feel like getting a scubs uniform and just walking in as I've been mistaken for hospital staff many times while providing care for my mum. Don't I have the right to see my mums face, her facial expressions, see her condition, her mental health (her dr said she was depressed), not to mention the bloody nurses are telling her she will get better and come home.... she should not hear those words from me over the god damn phone. I'm sorry I'm sooo angry how they are treating us both

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Now my mums condition is life threatening and the hospital are still denying me visitation

Hello @oneteaspoon ,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I don't have advice to offer as you seem to be doing all of the right things but  just wanted to let you know you're not alone and wish you all the best in getting in there to be with your Mum x

Re: Now my mums condition is life threatening and the hospital are still denying me visitation

Thank you. I feel soo alone but I am sure this is not an isolated incident and many are dying alone. And no one should have to die alone, EVER!! 

You have so much to contend with, I really am sorry that this is happening to you and your Mum. I hope by messaging back it makes you feel less alone. I cannot begin to imagine your headspace. Reach out to the professionals to chat with on here if you need to, it helped me, thinking of you @oneteaspoon 

Thank you. Your response means a lot more than you know. I've been in touch with LifeLine, beyond blue, sane on a daily basis. 

Hello @oneteaspoon , remember to tag me hun...I came online to check up on you and stumbled across this. How are you and your Mum?

P.S Kudos to you for reaching out for support x

Oh I'm sorry @Anastasia I'm new to this...

1 dr told her yesterday she is dying... the other treating her told her the same thing this morning. 

she rang me in soo much distress and said she doesn't want to be alone... I contacted the executive to inform him, he rang the nurses who said the dr said she looked better today... of course she is, the dr put her back on her steroids he took her off the last 6 months so her appetite, energy is back because of the steroid not because her health is improving ...

however after dropping off some clean clothes to the hospital today I decided to do a walk around the hospital and look who I found...

8721B8C8-4703-4790-87AF-E967082E2109.jpeg

Hello @oneteaspoon ,

please don't apologise, I just felt bad because I didn't realise you had replied 🙂

I am so glad you eventually got to get in there. Is it of your Mum's room, I hope so!!! 

@Anastasia Yes it is of her room but the windows inside and out are filthy and mums chair was right back so I couldn't really see her and she isn't allowed to get up without the nurses help. Sorry my photo was deleted as I breached guidelines 

Hi @oneteaspoon 

I wondered that. You rock 💜. Stoked you caught a glimpse, hold that tight. Hopefully it is a start and the staff will see sense to let you in for a visit. Thinking of you 😘

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance