Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

nellie28
Casual Contributor

Trying to help

Hi, my step daughter has had ongoing mental health concerns and crises. I also have bipolar & am in recovery from PTSD. She has taken a turn for the worse with severe depressive symptoms. We think she has been coping by disguising her symptoms. It’s so complicated. (And triggering for me). I tend to feel very unsafe with her chronic lying. Things are not good now, my partner is lost with what to do next. She is nearly 16 now, and it feels like we can’t change things for her, she has to do it herself, with support of course. I feel like we’ve done everything wrong!!! Feeling very worried and sad and losing hope. So many years of caring and no new strategies being implemented... I’m so powerless as a step parent. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Trying to help

Hello @nellie28 

soo sorry that we have not responded to your message 

how are you and your step daughter going today 

you are not alone my friend 

has your daughter have a healthcare team 

and please remember your own self care too 

@Faith-and-Hope@greenpea 

Hi @nellie28 and welcome to the forums.  

I don't have personal experience with Bipolar or PTSD, but I have family members who do, and there are many here on the forums with those particular areas of challenge.  

It's terrible to be dealing with lies.  I have had recent personal experience with someone close to me, unwell and dealing in lies to conceal addictions.  It can feel like nothing is believable, nothing is real.

I am glad you found us here, because being able to speak out about what you, personally, are going through is so important to your own mental health.  It is important to know you are not alone in the experiences.

Thanks, things are very strained... I often can’t look after myself properly. It’s pretty upsetting we are constantly worried about her.

Thanks, yes just sharing about it made me feel not so alone.

Step parenting can be extra difficult with mental illnesses around.

Take Care

@nellie28 

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance