Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Mental Health Week Special: Submit your questions to our special guests

I live in a large metroplitan area, but am on the lower socioeconomic side of town. It seems there are less doctors who practise other therapeutic methods apart from medication. Personally I have typically driven a long way to get quality mental health care. However the need in my area is very great. 

I wonder what any of the practitioners have to say about equal access to care.

Re: Mental Health Week Special: Submit your questions to our special guests

Hi there. There's a lot to say about inequity of healthcare access. 30% of Australians live in rural & regional areas, less than 15% of psychiatrists do. That figure drops to less than 5% in rural areas. That equates to roughly 1 Psychiatrist to 1M people. This inequity of access unfortunately goes across the clinical spectrum in mental health services. You don't have to go far from major city centres to notice this issue, I have worked in South West Sydney for over a decade & we are chronically short of clinicians. The Victorian government has released a mental health plan which at least addresses this issue, as does the new Federal mental health plan. We will have to see whether real change happens as a result. Here's hoping. Mx
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance