Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

There's a great book out at the moment called "Lost Connections'  that looks at the social reasons for depression and anxiety.  The author tells a great story about how a GP in the UK got sick of prescribing so many anti-depressants and so wanted an alternative approach.  So he started prescribing patients to join a community garden.  It was essential a scrap of dirt outside the surgery that gradually got turned into a lovely garden.  And the impact on the patients was huge - less isolation, better health, less loneliness.  And less need for meds.  It's inspiring stuff.  But not common enough yet.

I think that PHaMS support workers used to do a bit of that buddy stuff @Former-Member and help people join groups or help them attend things. Since the ndis rollout that has stopped for many people. 

I think we all need to make a real effort to make connections when we can. Small steps -- I agree @Liss23, @Former-Member

agree!

Yes @Shaz51.  Small steps.  So on that note...

For those of you who would like to feel less lonely, can you think of a small step you can take in the next few days?  Nothing that will create a sense of fear or pressure.  But something that can move you slightly towards a new real connection.  To feeling seen, heard and valued.

@Jonty8. Yes.  Because  I don't work.  I'm  home all day.  People I know  work full time.  Have kids.  Have husbands.  So sometimes I feel  intrusive,  trying to get some of a busy friends  time.  Feels almost like I'm  groveling or begging for some time.  It's  humiliating and  depressing

What a fantastic idea  re working in a community garden - my 19 year old son lost all his friends over the last few years due to his illness and their lack of understanding and is constantly lonely and a project like this would be wonderful for him - give him a sense of purpose and achievement without the fear of too much commitment and human contact which he so badly needs!

I've been wanting to try meet up groups for a while now. As @Teej pointed out, there's a tendency to put off your social interactions to a date further in the future when you might feel better or more worthy. Having a "buddy" would help immensely!

I have DBT tomorrow and those connections have been really good for me. I have found that I am beginning to enjoy the group but it took several months for that to happen. Sometimes we need to give things time to help us.

Trying to start up a conversation  with someone in the street or in the library  - maybe @Former-Member. But it's  so awkward  when they don't  want to stop and chat.  It makes me feel  desperate.