Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

HAKA for Men's MH

Men's mental health under the spotlight with inaugural Anzac Day haka to be held in Perth

As the Anzac Day dawn service crowds disperse, a commemoration of a different kind will kick off.

Hundreds of people — many of whom have never done the haka before — will come together to perform the war dance in a show of support for men's mental health.

Leon Ruri is coordinating the event.

Leon Ruri, event organiser wears a black shirt in a park. He has battled depression himself and said talking to a friend stopped him taking his life.
"I rang him up and said I can't take it anymore, I'm checking out you know. He had some strong words to say to me down the phone and was able to turn my mindset around," he said.

Mr Ruri wants to encourage men to speak more openly about mental health. "I think the bringing together of men to be powerful next to each other, to share through haka, will be an experience that they won't forget and I don't think it will be an experience anyone else will forget that witnesses it," he said.
haka

"It's a full body expression of communication, I mean you use every part of your body — your voice, your muscles, your arms, your legs, everything to express yourself."
Haka 3

For some, it is their first time doing the haka, but for others, it is a tradition that has been passed down for generations.

Kereama Chalmers was one of about 100 people who turned out on Sunday to practice ahead of Anzac Day.

"We need to come together, show our kids and all others who want to join us, take them back to our culture," he said.

"The more that people talk about issues and things, the better it becomes, they've gotta release, they hold it in, it's no good."

Mr Ruri's father was also amongst the crowd.

Leon's father Bill Ruri wears a shirt saying "Anzac Day Haka for Life"

His grandfather fought in World War I but no one knew what he had faced at war.

"It was something that we never ever spoke about, the family never ever spoke about it," he said.

"I had other mates too… they went through the second world war, exactly the same thing, hardly anything spoken about it at all.

"I can certainly see why they wouldn't want to talk about it."

This year is the first time the haka has been part of Anzac Day commemorations in Perth.

It is hoped next year it will be incorporated into the official dawn service event.

Leon leads the men through the war dance rehearsal in the park.

ABC NEWS: SUN APR 23

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-23/anzac-day-rehearsal-of-haka-to-raise-awareness-of-mental-he...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance