Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

P-diddle
New Contributor

Anxiety

I have bad anxiety when driving especially on freeways, tunnels or big open areas does anyone else have the same ? I go into like a panic attack, I’m on tablets for anxiety and depression even though I don’t have depression it’s just this anxiety attacks when driving the tablets have done nothing to help with this, anyone have any advice or suffer the same situations? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Anxiety

Hi @P-diddle 

Welcome to the forums! Really sorry that you're going through that. It sounds very frustrating and exhausting for you. Have you gone back to your health professional to have a chat about the progress (or lack thereof) of the medications? 

You aren't alone. Anxiety is a really uncomfortable travelling companion to lots of us! 😅 I don't have driving-specific anxiety, however working with some of my fears when I'm relaxed has reduced some of my anxieties. I can 'anticipate' it, and build walls of logic. They don't always hold. The deep breathing can help. The reward system of reaching for the positive event on the other side of the anxiety, etc. Would you consider working with a therapist to get to the root of the fears and practice techniques to support your body? 

Hope you find some relief! Maybe others here will have some further ideas 🙂 

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Hey there @P-diddle 

It can be really stressful driving in places that make you feel uncomfortable, especially when it's really busy and everyone is going fast around you! I used to get anxious driving into the city because I didn't know where I was going and I felt like the other cars would bully me and it would absolutely freak me out! 

The things that have helped me the most would be preparing the route in my head before I set off (mapping it out and making sure I know where I am going or at least have the GPS on), listening to calming music or a podcast to take my mind off of everything while I drive, I also like to have a tea while I drive so that I can sip on it and the temperature change really helps as well with my anxiety. 

I hope this helps a little bit! 

Sending hugs,

Amber22

Bubala
Casual Contributor

I’m so sorry for your suffering i hear ya.

I have an answer which may seem a little left of field.

Capt Tom Bunn Fear of Flying

It is an amazing book from the library or purchase.

one of the examples in the book is a client of Capt Tom who used the same method he teaches to go under a huge long tunnel. i think 30 minutes long, with success.

Read the book slowly it is remarkable 

At the end of the book and following the exercises i flew one hour to sydney and returned. The following weekend we went to Adelaide and two weeks later to Canada. Yes 14 hours away. 

It really is solve able. You must read the book from the beginning . Tom is niw in his 90s an amazing man.

Apparently Australian Amanda Weeks wrote a book about 40 years ago with similar methods. 

i wish you every good luck. i know you can do it.

Hi @P-diddle 

So sorry to hear that you are going through this, when I am in traffic especially when a car is behind me too close, I get anxious and sometimes I pull over if it's safe to do so and take deep breaths until I come down. I have taken different routes to places if I know that particular road is congested and it's going to cause me a panic attack, it's working so far. Crowded places can also cause anxiety and panic attacks, like shopping centres. This also happens to me sometimes, I plan my day and go do my shopping early in the morning before it gets crowded and leave. A few of my family members suffer from panic attacks also, especially in the traffic. Having some time alone in a quiet place with my eyes closed helps me a lot. Hope you feel better soon, take care. 

Hey @P-diddle , 

I relate to this anxiety strongly as I was in a car accident only a few months after getting my license. Some of the things that helped me in relation to my driving anxiety were: talking to people about it (well done you've done that here!), playing non-distracting music in the car, practicing unfamilar routes with a trusted person. 

By far the best thing I've done is getting one of those holders for my smartphone and using maps when I'm driving. My driving instructor always got me to take a deep breath whenever I was becoming agitated in the car. 

I hope this advice helps! You got this!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance