Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Tiredtoday
New Contributor

Exhausted and need to be alone

I am a mum of 3 children 2 teens and a 3 year old. I have suffered and been treated for depression since age 13. Recently, my job has been feeling really overwhelming and it is now spilling into my personal life. I constantly feel anxious and depressed. Tonight I have gotten to the point that I got in the car and left just to be alone. I often feel like running away, not for good because I couldn't imagine ever leaving my kids but I feel like I have nothing left to give at the end of a work day and I am physically and emotionally drained. I don't know what to do 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Exhausted and need to be alone

Hi there, I’m so sorry for your hardships. You are a wonderful mother and deserve to have balance in life. Being treated for depression from such a young age must often leave you feeling lost for answers when you’ve been fighting for so long, I can’t imagine juggling personal, family and work life all under one roof. You are strong, and you are more than deserving of love and support. Your health is so very important, be it mental, physical or emotional they all have a role in how you feel each day. I wonder if setting boundaries around work to help balance the stress and time consumption of work is possible? I’m not sure if there is anybody else in the picture but finding help from family or financially may give you some breathing room. Please, remember to take care of your own health too. If you need time away you can do that, and using strategies and techniques to ease the angst in times of distress can be what keeps you from feeling like you’ll fall right off the edge when overwhelmed. Self care, balance, and emotional regulation might all be things to assist you in your anxieties. I’m not telling you what to do at all, but gentle suggestions never hurt 🙂

if you’re not already, therapy is going to be an opportunity for you to explore the ways you can maximise your mental wellbeing through motherhood and the battles worklife will throw into the mix. So proud of you for reaching out for help and using places like this to vent. You are worthy, and if it feels like nobody hears you I do. Be strong 💙

@Tiredtoday 

Hi there!

Thanks so much for jumping onto the forums and sharing whats been going on. You absolutely are not alone in this.

I think @Parzival made some lovely suggestions on different strategies that could help. Do you have any family or friends you could reach out to that could offer you support? 

I hope you are doing a little better today

Hey @Tiredtoday welcome to the forums, I'm glad you found us.

I hear you with the exhaustion and feeling like you just need to be alone. I am also a mum of 3 and it is a very tough gig. That combined with being overwhelmed at work it sounds like you're under a lot of pressure. You probably don't have much to give at the end of the day because you can not pour from an empty cup..

So how can you start filling up your cup again?

Do you get much help and support with the kids? 

Hi @Tiredtoday - Is there another adult in your life raising the children alongside you? Have you raised your feelings with people in your life? Is there a way you can find to take time for yourself? Even if it's just an hour to take a bath or to go to a hobby class? 

I hope this tiredness eases for you. 

Hello, I know this post is a a few weeks ago now but I thought I’d respond. 
I’m 35 with a 5 and 8 year old, trying to juggle a professional career and single parenting. It’s exhausting. 

I love me kids more than anything but I often fantasise and think “wouldn’t it be nice to break a bone or have a minor accident just so I could go to hospital and get a break.” Haha.
Parenting and juggling everything else is hard work but even on your worse days you’re still there for everybody. It’s tough, sometimes when I’m feeling down I think about all the mums who are dealing with the same stuff I am (and much worse) and I think, wow, us women are bloody amazing. 
I hope you manage to find some time for yourself soon. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance