Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Let's do Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)

Thanks heaps @Teej

Hi @Faith-and-Hope

I'm sure that how you explained Radical Acceptance will help.

It always helps me to hear people's personal experience, rather than reading from a textbook (which I've already done).

I'm gona read & re-read what you said, & see if I can better accept this radical acceptance, & make the idea work...

Adge

Yep, like you suggested @Teej Nothing has been magically lifted from my shoulders yet - I don't feel good about these things that I need to accept.

It's a work in progress, it might take a lot of time, like you suggested.

I have psychosomatic symptoms as warnings too sometimes @Faith-and-Hope

Unfortunately I maybe tried to ignore them, in the past.

Acknowledgement that things need to be accepted is the first step - I've got that far, even though I don't like those things....

Adge

I been thinking about Radical and Acceptance long before DBT came out. 

Individually as concepts and both words used together in a Christian context.  

Perhaps some things need to be accepted, but "need" concept is pretty tricky here.

It can be a big problem if it is applied inflexibly to the wrong person at the wrong time.

I am concerned by young or inexperienced MH workers mindlessly applying concepts to vulnerable people without sufficient attention to context.   Ahem ... even if they are proficient in mindfulness techniques per se ...

I can see DBT is a broad program. 

Life and Lived Experience is a rich resource too.

Hello @Appleblossom, @Adge, @Teej, @Faith-and-Hope, @CheerBear, @Zoe7, @Neelix, @Determined @roachy @BPD-Cinderella @Abs @glitterbee @Dolf @lolamay @Treve @aggieg,

after taking a pause for a little while, can we get back to business on this thread and focus our attention back onto the positive growth outcomes of DBT ?-- I agree @Faith-and-Hope

Happy to contribute here again @Shaz51 and maybe @Sans911 could join us as she has just completed a refresher course and @Snowie is about to start her course in January, Would be good to get it up and running again especially for Snowie to talk things thrugh when they come up. I remember the first module and a bit I did it was very overwhelming - that may have been more to do with where I was sitting at the time, the little confidence I had in myself and my anxiety about being around other people. All that combined made it really tricky for me to concentrate and the pdoc appointments afterwards were hard because I couldn't remember anything we did. 

It is great to talk through some of the stuff covered in DBT with others.

that is a great idea @Zoe7

how about it @Sans911 and @Snowie

t is great to talk through some of the stuff covered in DBT with others.-- I think soo too

Happy to chat here about DBT related things. And more than happy to be here to help @Snowie

That is awesome @Sans911 and I'm sure @Snowie will benefit from your knowledge as well. I am on my second round of modules and getting things I didn't on the first round (which I didn't cope with at all) - in a different place though now and the support in the group is wonderful.

I'd be happy to help you too @Zoe7. Just ask hun

Thanks @Sans911 Appreciate the offer but I have a handle on it now the second time around - it is amazing how much easier it is being in the right headspace. Smiley Surprised

Only too happy to post about what we are doing next module and get your input for others here too though - your opinion and wisdom is always valued Hon Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance