Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Mindfulness and CBT for carers // 21 March, 7 - 9pm AEDT

'the caring journey is often about discovering themselves'-- sooo true @snowlee127

I have learnt soo much and have grown so much over time , But I am still learning and discovering more about myself

Shame I have been doing it my myself , Until I found the "SANE" forum which has helped me soooo much in the last 2 years of joining

I found that by finding my own way to cope wasn't working and i was simply becoming frustrated and then stressed. By seeking help I have not just an outlet but learn new ways to rethink my reactions.
Not all suggestions for coping suit me and that's ok. I feel any movement away from the frustration and stress is what i need. Everyone is different.
As @snowlee127 wrote ''the caring journey is often about discovering themselves" and this self discovery is what I'm currently experiencing
Or maybe it's just life, a constant rediscovery of ourselves as we and our situations and environments change

@Former-Member yes, and again, it comes in line with the concept of 'acceptance.' Accepting at that moment, we are not there quite yet and not to say we won't have the relapse in life. One of a well respected psychologist-Sarah Edelman, on her class, said sometime for one thing to happen, 1000 factors need to be met, we'd love things to be certain way, but often little that we can do, and the only person that can free us from the situation mentally is ourselves. 

Can we take mindfulness and CBT too far and overthink everything? I need a break sometimes when I get caught up with reading about MI, looking for answers. Pondering my situation. My head starts hurting. 

@soul wrote:

Acknowledging that sometimes there are things we can't change no matter what, is really difficult to do. There is often that feeling of "if I had done this differently ....". 

I think that is part of acceptance. @soul   The proactive kind.  To resolve, rather than accept.  The need to resolve it within ourselves, to our own satisfaction, then accept why we did what we did ..  and move forward from there.  That to me is a key element in the acceptance process.

Yes! This is one thing that psychologists initially found a bit difficult to support individuals with anxiety is the tendency of questioning every thought. I think this is also why many practitioners have moved on to Mindfulness. I like how people descript mindfulness guided CBT as "consider yourself as a third person, almost like an out of body experience to observe and accept the you that you are now'. If your practice is guided by some form of judgment, then it is hard and difficult to practice all the time. 

@snowlee Thanks! Would love to hear more. Can't seem to private message you through this forum - hopefully you can share some way of getting in touch! Loving this discussion, thank you for allowing me enter. Must go bring my kidlets to school now. Enjoy the rest of your chat - such a fantastic resource!

@soul oh my gosh, I hear you there. Sometimes I have to force myself to switch off and just say 'no more for now' and go and watch some mindless television or escape in some other way

@snowlee127  To me the one big overlap of both mindfulness and CBT is self awareness.  Would you agree with that?

@MissSlytherin I also have the moments which only a stint of mindless TV will fix! - thankful for reality TV 🤣
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance