Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Let's do Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)

Hello @Determined@Phoenix_Rising@Faith-and-Hope@CheerBear@Zoe7

I was delighted when I saw @Phoenix_Rising intention to make this a thread.

I hope I can pop in and out as a friendly, interested but not committed bystander.

I respect Linehan's work in developing all the worksheets and will probably try a few if time permits.  I wont buy the book tho, as I have to be careful not to overburden my bookshelves.  It would be sad if the wood bowed under its weight.

@Phoenix_Rising Great summary. Love it. Makes sense to me. I started off reading Marxist theory and the Helgelian dialectic and the Socratic dialogue methods in political theory and philosophy.  Then read theology to try and sort out all the complications of a religious and atheistic dialectic going on in my extended family.  I am more of a waffler or circumlocution type than a B&W thinker though I can do the latter.  Talk about opposing forces, but do we really want to dob in all that is not "me" or "we" or "us" as bad or evil.  Hmmmm Thank God we have moved on from some B&W thinking!

B&W thinking is often a function of an extreme situation, though not always ...

@CheerBear  You paraphrased that last point fabulously.

You GO Ladies.

Brilliant.

Hope everyone doesn't mind me watching from a distance from a carers perspective. I think this thread is a great idea. Hoping I may get some insight to be able ti better support my darling.

@Phoenix_Rising @CheerBear I am not 'on the forum' at the moment however I am still going to try to participate here with both of you. This may infact also be too hard for me so please accept my apologies in advance if this is the case (which I suspect it will be). The last few weeks have been incredibly tough and that came to a head this morning on here as well as irl. I just can't cope with it all. The upcoming few weeks are going to be even tougher particularly with my present 'state of mind', hospital procedures and gradually changing meds. I do hope that in time I am able to come back and join in with both of you here as it has been something that I was really looking forward to doing (the intellectual interaction rather than the content). So please go ahead without me - I really do wish that it had not come to this for me - but sadly it has.

Thankyou both for including me in the first place - it meant alot.Smiley Happy

"Flippers Up" Llittle Turtle and CB Smiley Happy

Good evening @Zoe7 @Determined @Appleblossom @CheerBear @Faith-and-Hope, I am super excited to see you here sharing in the DBT adventure.

I seem to be flying all over Forum Land tonight, so this is just a quick check in. I super want to take the time to read through properly what people have written. I plan to do that tomorrow morning. I did some more reading today, but I probably won't be ready to post about it for a day or two. The next few pages of the introduction all kind of go together as one story - although I think I will follow @CheerBear's example of breaking it up into a few posts.

@Zoe7 it is absolutely totally ok to just drop by when you are feeling up to it. At the rate we are currently going, I think we will still be on the introduction until sometime in the year 2020! Smiley LOL

@Determined it is super cool to have a carer venture over here. Has your darling done DBT???

@Faith-and-Hope I am excited to think that you might be able to explain the bits that any of us get stuck on. I did quickly read your post but I want to take the time to write a proper response.

@Appleblossom Friendly interested bystanders are definitely welcome. Smiley Very Happy

Super big thank you everyone for taking an interest in this adventure. Smiley Happy

Good morning fellow DBT adventurers, Smiley Happy

I super love how @CheerBear has outlined her approach to this adventure. Like CheerBear, I was also a little overwhelmed when the manual arrived. I have had the original skills training manual for years and I figured the new one wouldn't be THAT different. Um..yeah, the first edition is 180 pages, which includes all the worksheets, whereas the new edition is 504 pages and you need to either download the worksheets from the website or buy them in a separate book, which is 422 pages long. So...since 1993, 180 pages has morphed into 926!!! Yay for progress. It is probably a good thing I didn't realise this before embarking on this adventure though! Smiley Very Happy

I have decided that I'm going to purchase the book of worksheets rather than download them. This is the book I am talking about: https://www.bookdepository.com/DBT-Skills-Training-Handouts-and-Worksheets/9781572307810 I figure it isn't super expensive and it will help me to keep everything in one place.

While we are talking about books, this is the treatment manual (as opposed to the skills training manual, which is what we are working our way through): https://www.bookdepository.com/Cognitive-Behavioral-Treatment-of-Borderline-Personality-Disorder-Mar... The treatment manual goes into much more detail about the theory that underpins DBT, particularly as it relates to treating people with BPD. It is here that Linehan talks a lot about her conceptualization of BPD. I found it super validating when I read it. I love how she talks about the fact that people with BPD are NOT attention seeking or manipulative, we are simply trying to survive. This is all discussed a bit in the introduction to the skills manual, but if you want to know more, the treatment manual is the book to read.

Now is probably a good time to mention that perhaps the reason Linehan seems to understand people with BPD so well and why she has been such a trail blazer in the effective treatment of BPD is that she herself had (yes, I said "had" not "has" and yes, she is still alive Smiley Happy) BPD. You can read about that here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html?pagewanted=all&mcubz=3

Anyway, back to responding to CheerBear...

I really like what you said about working on accepting yourself CheerBear. I recognise that I am much more ok about being me than I used to be. For me, figuring out that I have ASD was a big part of that. It helped me make sense of so much of what I struggle with. In the legal report that Fred wrote for the court case, he described me as the most severe case of BPD he had encountered. However, I know now that what he was seeing wasn't a superly messed up "borderline," but an aspie with BPD. Since getting the ASD diagnosis I have felt much more ok about my oh-so-many quirks. I super hope that you can become more ok with being you too CheerBear. I think you are super wonderful, exactly as you are right now.

I super like what you said about how people need to solve their own problems even if they weren't of their making. Oh and as an aside, I super like that you jumped ahead in the book. I'm only planning to write at length about pages 1-12 in the introduction because otherwise we will still be in the first half of the book in the year 2050!!! Therefore please do add in bits that you think are important from later in the first half of the book.

Yep, I totally agree that it makes a world of difference to go from seeing yourself as the problem, to seeing yourself as someone who needs to figure out how to live more effectively with problematic life circumstances. I recognise that a massive part of my muddle is that I was very much seen as the problem when things went awry back in 1996/97. Although there is still far too much stigma around BPD, it is definitely better than it was back then!!!

@Zoe7 I definitely struggle a lot with the concept of being ok just as I am while also needing to change. Like you, I can't see how this makes sense - it is either one or the other. @Faith-and-Hope, I super like your response...but it doesn't totally compute in my brain. CheerBear's rug isn't complete until it is complete. While it remains incomplete she will keep working on it (i.e. changing it), when it is complete, she will stop working on it (i.e. she won't change it further).

What DOES make more sense to me, is the idea that I can be totally ok as I am right now and yet still be open to learning new things. To me, this is like my violin playing. Right now my playing sounds pretty much like you would expect it to sound given how long I've been learning for. And that's totally ok. But I practice every day because I want to get better at playing my violin. So...I'm totally fine with the way I play right now, and yet I work at playing better. I think this analogy fits better for me because it isn't that I need to CHANGE, it's that I can develop new skills. Thus the problem isn't ME as a being, it's simply that I'm not that good at some things yet. I'm not that good at playing my violin and I'm not that good at regulating my emotions...and that's ok. People who are good at those things aren't intrinsically better human beings than me, they just happen to have some skills that I don't have. Equally, I have skills that most other people don't have (like being able to stand on my head).

@Faith-and-Hope I super like the fact that you seem to be saying that it is just as ok to be a black-and-white thinker as it is to be a grey thinker. I super wish that view was held more widely. The reality is that in our society in this particular point in history, black-and-white thinking is regarded as somehow less-than grey thinking. At its worst, it is pathologised.

Ok, well I think that's all from me for today. I have now read up to page 12 in the introduction and I will post something about that over the weekend.

Thank you for sharing the adventure. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @Phoenix_Rising, appreciate the opportunity to gain insight  from people who are experiencing similar emotions to my darling. I do my best to help and support  her but often feel I miss the mark 😔

My darling was supposed to be starting DBT with a psychologist late last year but went to hospital before they got anywhere. Has been reluctant to go back and see him sincd then  due to $$$ (I was and still am ok with the cost) but also the travel, 2 hr round trip each time.  She has had a few admissions to hospital this year also making it difficult yo get a start. I dont know what exactly they do there but I dont believe DBT has been part of it. 

My goal is to try and encourage her to go back to the psychologist to discuss dbt again when school resumes next year. A while away I know but it would be too much for her just now so jyst want to work on resuming some routines at home first.  This thread will give me some insight to be able to support that process when we can get it started.

Thanks again for letting me join in. 

Hello all to this thread. I was reading the title and thought oh? this is a topic I've not heard or read about. I have read @Phoenix_Rising post on 3 key characteristic's of dialectical perspective.
Cheers to you for the summary and explanation and your thoughts. I understood most of it. I did have to google some words but all good.
I will follow this thread. I kind of felt or had feelings that I could as may many others here on the forums relate to the 'perspectives' of DBT.
I understood 'the fundamental interrelatedness of reality' , 'reality isn't viewed as static' and 'fundamental nature of reality is change and process' .
It is mind boggling at the moment for me but I did appreciate your thoughts on the perspectives. I will not contribute at this point as I may read and ponder. Read and ponder. Read and ponder.
Thank you for sharing @Phoenix_Rising...

Hi @Phoenix_Rising ......

It takes beginning a single row of @CheerBear's rug to be able to call it started ..... that row actually being a ring ..... a ring of stitches from the centre loop.

The ring of stitches is big enough to be a tiny turtle rug ..... or a tiny octopus ..... or mermaid .... or anything tiny in fact .... to from its very inception the rug is. It's in existence and complete, if that is the size you want it to be ..... but it still has all the potential to be something much bigger and more intricate, and is at once incomplete from that perspective.

By the same measure .... the rug can possibly be worked on, supplies of wool and interest being essential for this .... until it is extremely large and vying for space in the Guinness Book of Records.

That was how I settled on the analogy of the rug ..... but I understand if this analogy doesn't fit, or suit someone else's thoughts about it.

Hi @Determined, I super know that you try your best to help and support your darling. You are doing your super best, and that is all you can ever do. Your darling is superly duperly lucky to have you. Smiley Happy I am super glad that you are here to provide input from a carer's perspective. I imagine there is a pretty good chance that some of what you say may be tricky for me and others with BPD or other emotion dysregulation issues to hear, and vice versa. That's ok - I have the SANE helpline number on speed-dial (and...I just made whoever is moderating today shudder). Smiley LOL

Hi @Neelix, it is super nice to see you here. Reading and pondering is warmly welcomed. Please feel free to ask what any words mean. If there's a word that you don't understand, chances are there are who-knows-how-many other people reading along who don't understand it either. There are no silly questions here. Smiley Happy DBT is heavily grounded in Buddhist philosophy and to be honest, some of that philosophy isn't a good fit for my own spiritual beliefs. Thus I tend to take the bits that work and leave the bits that don't. 

@Faith-and-Hope I kind-of get what you are saying in your rug analogy...but something still isn't quite fitting in my brain. Perhaps because in your analogy, the idea is that the tiny rug is complete, but can also be expanded upon, whereas the dialectic we are talking about is that the person is totally ok as they are and yet still NEEDS to work towards change. In your analogy, the tiny rug is totally acceptable with the potential to be more, but it doesn't NEED to be more, BECAUSE it is totally acceptable as it is. I think for me it still comes back to improving skills vs changing ME. To me it sounds fine to say "I am totally ok as I am, but I want to get better at coping with my big feelings" because this is saying I want to improve a skill that I DO, not that I want to change who I AM. 

Super big thank you for engaging in the conversation everybody (although it is a bazillion percent ok for you to not engage and instead just read along). Smiley Happy

Well ... the rug has to grow as the turtle grows @Phoenix_Rising ..... but I can see that the analogy is not a perfect fit with the concept ......

Continuing to listen along here .....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance